Pregnant women already have a higher blood volume and a slightly higher body temperature… so being pregnant during summer (especially in your third trimester) can be an extra challenge to your comfort and your energy level. Here in North County Coastal San Diego, many homes are without air conditioning because of how mild it is for so much of the year! We found a few tips (besides the obvious, like stay in the shade and stay hydrated) to help you keep your cool:
- Minimize salt intake, which can combat water retention (Parents.com, “Summer Pregnancy Survival Guide”)
- MINT is a cooling herb according to modernmom.com. Incorporate it into some of your recipes or even better, into your favorite mocktail! Our friends over at First Coast Doulas have two great mocktail recipes for you.
- And oldie but goodie – put some ice water in a bowl for dipping a washcloth, squeezing it out, and applying it to your forehead, or rubbing it all over! Do this in front of a fan and it’s pure bliss.
- Have you heard of buckwheat pillows!? Neither had we. Apparently they have increased airflow and don’t retain as much heat as other pillows. Treat yourself to a sweet sleep without the sweat! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/08/03/ways-to-cool-your-home_n_5516182.html
- And finally, if you’re in North County Coastal San Diego, or anywhere near water for that matter, go take a dip!
When you’re ready to let us pamper you after your baby or babies finally arrive, call us or read more about our Postpartum Doula Services.